Sunday, May 4, 2008

May 1st in the Czech Republic

It's hard to believe that it is the first of May already. Where has the time gone? In just a few months it will be the end of the school year. Crazy!! This last week I had a four day weekend because of the first of May. The Czech Republic has a big celebration for the end of April. Every year on April 30th all around the Czech Republic there are 'witch burning celebration' parties to celebrate the end of winter and the beginning of spring. In some places they have a huge bon- fire and they burn a witch,its very similar to our scarecrows. The witch is suppose to represent winter and its over and spring has come. It really depends on where you are, but people usually do some type of party. I had the opportunity this year to go to F.L. with one of my students to take part in their exciting event. We first roasted sausages over a big fire and then went down town FL to take part in the celebration in the center of town. There was a band and children dancing. After the band was finished playing there were fireworks to end this celebration. The firework show reminded me of Fourth of July in America.
Then on the first of May, its a big thing for women to be kissed. I must say I didn't get my kiss this year, I got whipped on Easter but no kiss on the first of May. -(
I just recently found out the history behind this event. It is very similar to Labor day in America. In America we celebrate Labor day in September and they celebrate it on the first of May. I thought that was interesting that the first of May is similar to the American holiday.

No comments: